We recently got one of the Pony Express Girls subscription boxes and among all of the goodies inside were 4 Stud Muffin treats. Spike absolutely LOVED them but unfortunately we can’t get them here locally so I decided to try my hand at DIY recipe. I know, I know – I spoil him! Check out my peppermint stud muffin DIY recipe below…
Peppermint Stud Muffin DIY
1 1/4 cup of oats
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup linseeds
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup grated carrots
12 peppermint lollies
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, linseed and molasses. Stir well to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add in flour, cornflour and water and mix well. It takes a little bit of time for these ingredients to come together which is why I added them in bit by bit.
- Add grated carrot and mix through.
- Grease a muffin tin well (I used olive oil spray for this) and spoon in mix evenly. The recipe makes 12 pretty decent sized treats but you could use a mini muffin tin to make smaller treats too!
- Preheat oven to 180C (or 350F) and bake for 15-20 minutes. Make sure you check on them in the last few minutes as they can go from underdone to burnt pretty quickly.
- When cooked removed from oven and while hot press the peppermint treats in to the centre of the muffins.
- Remove from tin and allow to cool.
- Store in an air tight container!
And voila… here is the finished product!
These treats are SO quick and easy to make and can easily be adapted to suit your own horses taste or preferences (if you’ve got a fussy one!)